The Mina Rees Library is looking for a Metadata Librarian to work within a collaborative and collegial framework under the direction of the Associate Librarian for Collection Management. This is a faculty position with appointment at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank.
This person provides general cataloging support for the library with particular focus on special collections, digital resources and other non-print formats.
• Catalogs materials in all subjects and formats but specializes in cataloging special collections, digital resources and other non-print formats
• Participates in digital project planning and implementation including the development of standards and best practices and creates metadata for digital resources
• Consults with colleagues at the Graduate Center and throughout CUNY as appropriate regarding cataloging issues.
• Trains staff as necessary; may supervise 1 full time employee in absence of senior staff. • Keeps current on developments in cataloging practice and participates in the evaluation and development of cataloging policies and procedures.
• Assists patrons at the Reference Desk and at library workstations and serves as library liaison to assigned doctoral programs.
• MLS degree from an accredited institution and second Master’s degree in a Social Sciences or Humanities discipline
• Familiarity with MARC format and cataloging rules including AACR2, LCSH, and LCRI • Experience with an integrated library system (Aleph 500 preferred), cataloging experience and creation of metadata in an academic environment
• Familiarity with emerging trends in library systems and services
• Experience with using MODS/METS and/or applying Western States Best Practices
• Strong interpersonal skills • Working knowledge of German, French or another Western European language
• Use of DRM tools • Familiarity with Cataloger’s Desktop and Classification Web • Successful grant experience
• Familiarity with ExLibris Aleph 500
Closes September 4, 2009
See complete notice & contact info on the Grad Center Human Resources Job Listings page.