The Lambs' Clubhouse, 70 West Thirty Sixth Street.

Title:

The Lambs' Clubhouse, 70 West Thirty Sixth Street.

Format:

Prints

Publisher:

Robert Stewart, "The Clubs and Club Life in New York," Munsey's Magazine in The New New York.

Date:

ca. 1897

Street Address:

70 West 36th Street

Photographer/Artist:

From a photograph by Byron

Description:

Curbside image of the exterior of the Lambs' Clubhouse which was affiliated with the British organization by the same name. The Lambs Club in the US was founded in 1874 as the first American social club for the professional theatre community. In 1904, The Lambs moved their clubhouse to 44th Street to a building designed by Stanford White. Since the early 1970's, the Lambs Club has been located on 51st Street.

Subjects:

  • Lambs (Theatrical club: New York, N.Y.)
  • Clubs--New York (State)--New York.
  • New York (N.Y.)--Social life and customs.

Rights:

Copyright Seymour B. Durst Old York Library Collection, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

Collection:

Seymour B. Durst Old York Library.

Contributing Institution:

City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center, Mina Rees Library.

This item has no location info associated with it.

Thumbnail (Click Image to See Fullsize):

Back to Collection Home

Geolocation

This item has no location info associated with it.