Oppenheim Collins Building, 35 West 34th Street.

Title:

Oppenheim Collins Building, 35 West 34th Street.

Format:

Digital images

Publisher:

Not applicable.

Date:

2010

Street Address:

35 West 34th Street

Photographer/Artist:

Jeanette O'Keefe

Description:

This building once housed Oppenheim Collins and Company. Founded in 1871 by Albert D. and Charles J. Oppenheim, Oppenheim Collins was originally a New York City skirt manufacturer, later branching into department stores catering to women. The first store was opened in 1901. The lot for this building was bought in 1910. It was during this time that department stores were moving from downtown to the 34th Street area. The building housed the company headquarters and the stores expanded into several major cities. In 1945, City Stores Company gained control of the chain and later Oppenheim Collins merged with Franklin Simon & Company, the name of the chain being liquidated by 1963.

Subjects:

  • Oppenheim Collins and Company, Inc.
  • Department stores--New York (State)--New York.
  • Buildings--New York (State)--New York.
  • Thirty-fourth Street (New York, N.Y.)
  • Midtown Manhattan (New York, N.Y.)

Rights:

Copyright Mina Rees Library, CUNY Graduate Center. All rights reserved. Use prohibited without written permission.

Collection:

Digital 34th Street

Contributing Institution:

City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center, Mina Rees Library.

This item has no location info associated with it.

Thumbnail (Click Image to See Fullsize):

Back to Collection Home

Geolocation

This item has no location info associated with it.