Waldorf-Astoria, Stewart Mansion, Art Gallery of Samuel P. Avery, and the Caswell Mansion at corner of 35th Street and Fifth Avenue, 1899.
Caption reads: The H. N. Tiemann Co. ; New York City. Waldorf Hotel built 1893; Astoria Hotel built 1897; Architect for both buildings: Henry James Hardenbergh. The Waldorf-Astoria was razed in 1929 to make way for the Empire State Building. The A.T. Stewart Mansion, built: 1896; razed: 1902-1904; architect: James Kellum. The Stewart Mansion was home to the Manhattan Club, 1890-1899. The John Caswell Mansion, built: 1859. The Caswell Mansion was leased to the University Club in 1879 and the New York Club in 1887.
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel (New York, N.Y.)
University Club (New York, N.Y.)
Manhattan Club (New York, N.Y.)
Fifth Avenue (New York, N.Y.)
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association.
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.