Advanced Search

B. Altman Building, 1924.

All Titles

  • B. Altman Building, 1924.


B. Altman Building, 1924.


1 photographic reproduction ; 24 x 19.3 cm.



Street Address:

365 Fifth Avenue


Other Creator:


Fifth Avenue looking north from 34th Street, 1924. B. Altman in foreground. There are holes on the upper-right corner and throughout the left side of the image.

Description continued:

The B. Altman & Company department store. Built: 1905-1906; Extended: 1913; Architects: Trowbridge & Livingstone. The store originally fronted on 5th Avenue and by 1911 stretched the full block from 34th to 35th Streets. In 1913 a final expansion extended the back of the building to Madison Avenue. The Renaissance Revival building now houses the CUNY Graduate Center (5th Avenue entrance) and the NYPL science and business library (Madison Avenue entrance).

Landmark Name:

B. Altman & Company Department Store Building

Previously known as:


  • Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
  • B. Altman & Co.
  • Fifth Avenue (New York, N.Y.)
  • Street life.

Rights Management:

The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.

Rights Management 2:

Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association.

Contributing Institution:

City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.


Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.


Thumbnail (Click Image to See Fullsize):

Back to Collection Home

Copyright © 2010 Mina Rees Library - All Rights Reserved

CUNY Graduate Center

Contact Us| 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | (212) 817-7077

Website Problems? Contact Library Webmaster