129 E. 35th Street. Photographed behind scaffolding.
Built 1859-1860 by granite dealer Thomas Crane and stone cutter Alexander McDonald. The two men developed plans for Nos. 129-137 E. 35th Street and then transferred titles to investors during the building process. This second phase of development in Murray Hill's historic district reflected the wealth of middle class families in the years before the Civil War. Much of the original rich architectural detail survives, including the stoop and railings, the surround and hood over the main entryway, and the building's cornice.
Murray Hill Historic District (New York, N.Y.)
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Decoration and ornament, Architectural.
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.