Murray Hill Theatre, 1904, Lexington Avenue. The theater's entrances are on 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue.
The Murray Hill Theatre was constructed on land owned by the Goelet Estate; Built: 1896. Razed: 1950. Frank B. Murtha was the theater's first manager. William Morris later took over and converted it to vaudeville. In 1909 Marcus Loew bought the building and re-named it Loews 42nd Street. The site is now home to the Socony-Mobil Building. Poitier & Stymus furniture company is also visible in the photograph.
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Murray Hill Theatre (New York, N.Y.)
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association.
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.