Advanced Search

Carriage House, 149 East 38th Street, 1939.

All Titles

  • Carriage House, 149 East 38th Street, 1939.

Title:

Carriage House, 149 East 38th Street, 1939.

Format:

1 photographic reproduction ; 15.3 x 24.1 cm.

Date:

1939

Street Address:

149 East 38th Street

Photographer/Artist:

Other Creator:

Description:

Carriage House, 149 East 38th Street, 1939. Modelled after Dutch townhouse. Originally the George S. Bowdoin Stable. Architect: Ralph S. Townsend.

Description continued:

Built by William R. H. Martin in 1902. Purchased by George S. Bowdoin in 1907. The building served as a stable until 1918 when it was converted to a garage. The inset panels of horse heads in the decorative scheme refer to the building's original function.

Landmark Name:

George S. Bowdoin Stable.

Previously known as:

George S. Bowdoin Stable

Subjects:

  • Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
  • Architecture, Dutch -- Influence.
  • Commercial buildings.

Rights Management:

The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.

Rights Management 2:

Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association.

Contributing Institution:

City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.

Publisher:

Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.

Geolocation

Thumbnail (Click Image to See Fullsize):

Back to Collection Home

Copyright © 2010 Mina Rees Library - All Rights Reserved

CUNY Graduate Center

Contact Us| 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | (212) 817-7077

Website Problems? Contact Library Webmaster