Old entrance to the Morgan library, 33 East 36th Street. Built 1903-1906 ; Architect: Charles McKim of McKim, Meade & White. The rotunda connected the building's three main rooms: J.P. Morgan's study, J.P. Morgan's library, and the librarian's office. Visitors now enter through a side door which connects the McKim building to the Renzo Piano atrium.
The main entrance to the Morgan Library is on the south side of the rotunda, or entrance hall. To the east is the entrance to Morgan's personal library, to the west is the entrance to his study, and to the north, across from the main doors, is the entrance to the Librarian's office. This entrance is framed in an apse which terminates in a semi-dome. Above the white marble door frame is a lunette holding sculpture by Della Robbia. Other notable features of the rotunda include the colored-marble floor, marble pilasters with Composite capitals, and free-standing marble columns which act as lamps. The Italian Renaissance inspired decorative scheme for the rotunda's dome, partially visible in this photograph, was designed and executed by Henry Siddons Mowbray.
Pierpont Morgan Library and Annex
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Pierpont Morgan Library
Renaissance revival (Architecture) -- Italian influences
Mowbray, H. Siddons (Harry Siddons), 1858-1928
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.