Following J.P. Morgan's death his home on the corner of Madison Avenue and E. 36th Street was razed and an addition to his library built on the site. Though the two buildings appeared to be separate they connected through a back corridor. Built: 1928; Architect: Benjamin W. Morris. The Marble Hall connects the East and West Galleries in Benjamin Morris's addition to the original Morgan Library building. Morris's Italian Renaissance-inspired building complements the classicism of the Morgan Library's original 1906 building. Key decorative features of the Marble Hall include the inlaid marble floor and the metalwork ceiling panels.
Pierpont Morgan Library and Annex
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Pierpont Morgan Library
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.