Murray Hill Hotel, Park Avenue, west side between 40th and 41st Streets, 1918.
The Murray Hill Hotel; Built: 1884; Razed: 1947; Architect: Stephen D. Hatch. Owner Hugh Smith developed the 600 room hotel just blocks from Grand Central Terminal on a site which previously housed stables for the Madison Ave. stagecoach lines. The enormous red brick building was arranged around two courtyards. The main entrance was a colonnaded portico above which the building rose to a gable. It was demolished in 1947 to make way for an office building at 100 Park Avenue.
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Murray Hill Hotel (New York, N.Y.)
Park Avenue (New York, N.Y.)
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association.
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.