Advanced Search

Park Avenue looking north from 31st Street, 1850's.

All Titles

  • Park Avenue looking north from 31st Street, 1850's.

Title:

Park Avenue looking north from 31st Street, 1850's.

Format:

1 photographic reproduction ; 24.2 x 16.2 cm.

Date:

1853-1858

Street Address:

Park Avenue and East 31st Street

Photographer/Artist:

Other Creator:

Description:

Drawing looking north along Fourth Avenue (Park Avenue South) from between 31st and 32nd Streets, mid-1850's. At left, with the flag, is the Brandes Hotel and Restaurant; to its right, in the block now occupied by Two Park Avenue, are the ticket office, locomotive house and smith shop of the New York and Harlem Railroad, this location having been dictated by an 1842 ban on the use of steam power south of 32nd Street. Horsecars from downtown, arriving here a the city's then northern limits, are being assembled into a steam-driven train for Boston, while the animals, unhitched, are refreshed for the return trip or retired to the railroad's stables off to the right. In the background is the 34h Street bridge over the entrance to the railroad-out through Murray Hill, whose side streets are being built up with row houses and the Zion Protestant Episcopal Church (Madison and 38th), while Fourth Avenue (Park Avenue South) still remains mostly undeveloped.

Description continued:

Caption reads: Cars taking engine from New York to Boston.

Landmark Name:

Previously known as:

Subjects:

  • Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
  • New-York and Harlem Rail Road Company.
  • Railroads -- Buildings and structures.
  • Park Avenue (New York, N.Y.)
  • Brandes Hotel (New York, N.Y.)
  • Street life.

Rights Management:

The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.

Rights Management 2:

Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association ; William Carroll, Museum of the City of New York.

Contributing Institution:

City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.

Publisher:

Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.

Geolocation

Thumbnail (Click Image to See Fullsize):

Back to Collection Home

Copyright © 2010 Mina Rees Library - All Rights Reserved

CUNY Graduate Center

Contact Us| 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY | (212) 817-7077

Website Problems? Contact Library Webmaster