This large marble urn sits on a plinth adjacent to the Fifth Avenue entrance to NYPL.
New York Public Library; Built: 1911; Architects: Carrere & Hastings. NYPL was formed in 1895 by the merger of the Astor Library, the Lenox Library, and the Tilden Trust. In 1901 the New York Free Circulating Library merged with the Astor-Lenox-Tilden Library, making the newly formed institution eligible for funds donated to the city by Andrew Carnegie. The library building was completed in 1911. Carrere & Hastings' design was a high point of Beaux Arts architecture in the U.S. The decorative program included urns, flagpoles, sculpture, and fountains. The entrance is flanked by twin lions carved by E.C. Potter.
NYPL - 475 Fifth Ave.; New York Public Library, 476 Fifth Avenue at 42nd Street, Borough of Manhattan.
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
New York Public Library.
Fifth Avenue (New York, N.Y.)
Decoration and ornament, Architectural.
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.