Grand Central Depot, 1890. Grand Central Depot opened in 1871 for the New York and Harlem Railroad and the New Haven Railroad. Architect: John B. Snook in association with engineer Isaac C. Buckhout. Original glass and metal train shed designed by R.G. Hatfield.
Snook and Buckhout's designed the depot in the American Second Empire Style using red pressed brick and cast iron trim. The train shed was razed in 1903 when construction for the new Grand Central Terminal began.
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Forty-second Street (New York, N.Y.)
Grand Central Terminal (New York, N.Y.)
Decoration and ornament -- Second Empire style.
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association.
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.