Drawing of squatters. View from school house on 42nd Street between Second and Third Avenues looking north, 1870.
New York Times articles of the period reported that by 1864 an estimated 20,000 people lived in semi-rural shantytowns. These villages, complete with livestock, persisted through the 1880's. The largest of these communities was located on E. 43rd Street between Second and Third Avenues.
Previously known as:
Murray Hill Neighborhood (New York, N.Y.)
Forty-second Street (New York, N.Y.)
Cities and towns -- Growth.
The images and information provided in this collection may not be reproduced in any form without permission from the Mina Rees Library, The Graduate Center, City University of New York, except for "fair use" as defined by copyright law.
Rights Management 2:
Image courtesy of the Murray Hill Neighborhood Association.
City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.
Mina Rees Library; City University of New York. Graduate School and University Center.