Request a book from one CUNY library to be delivered to another. Use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to request books unavailable in CUNY.
Check & Renew Requests using My Library Account
- Search the CUNY+ Union Catalog
- Click title to display the book record
- Click Request a Copy
- Enter your username and password
- Both are your CUNY library barcode number, until you change the password
- Select your pick-up location from the drop-down menu
- Click Go to finish. You will see a confirmation message.
- Email goes to you when your book is available
- Logout of your CUNY+ session
- Renew items online in CUNY+ “My Account”
- Renewals and fines of lending library apply, see CUNY Libraries Circulation Policies
- Queens College, Brooklyn College, and City College cancel requests for music scores which may be borrowed and returned in person at these libraries
- BMCC cancels requests for CDs which may be borrowed and returned in person
- Grad Center allows CD, DVD, VHS via CLICS; other CUNY libraries do not
- Use “Request This Copy” to request or hold a targeted item in local CUNY library catalog
- Any “Request” placed in the online catalog for an item charged out generates a Recall Notice (via email or snail mail) to the current borrower. Borrowers are guaranteed the full length of the initial loan, but items in renewal will be recalled for due dates 10 days from the 2nd borrwer’s request. Overdue recall fines increase to $1/day for all classes of borrowers.
How long will it take?
Target turnaround is 2-3 days, excluding weekends and holidays. Requests submitted before 4 p.m. Sunday – 4 p.m. Thursday are retrieved the following business day. Couriers pick up later same day or next day. Requests made 4 p.m. Thursday to 4 p.m. Sunday are processed Mondays. Requests from the Hunter Health Professions and the School of Social work libraries route to the Hunter Main Library first, taking more time. NYC traffic, CUNY library systems problems, and library staffing all impact delivery time.
What if something I requested can’t be found?
You will receive email that your request can’t be filled. You may request it again from another CUNY library, or from ILL if otherwise unavailable within the CUNY system. If you wait longer than 4 days for your request, contact your either the CUNY lending library or your home CUNY library circulation desk.
- You have already requested this book via CLICS and recognized in the hold or borrowing cue already, OR
- No copy is available for loan via CLICS because the item is on loan, on reserve, in reference, or in a non-circulating category, OR
- Your library CUNY+ record is expired. If your CUNY registration is current, take your valid photo ID to your home CUNY library circulation desk for an update. There has been a glitch in the auto-updating of your library record from CUNY Central data.