Request a book from one CUNY library to be delivered to another. Use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to request books unavailable in CUNY.
Watch a CLICS demo on YouTube!
Check & Renew Requests using My Library Account
Make a Request
Click Request a Copy
- Enter your Barcode and Password. (Both are your CUNY library barcode number, until you change the password.)
Enter Barcode in Login Screen
- Select your pick-up location from the drop-down menu
Enter Barcode in Login Screen
- Click Go to finish. You will see a confirmation message.
- You will receive an email when your book is available
Confirmation that the Request is Complete
- Log out of your CUNY Catalog session
- Renew items online by clicking “My Account” in the CUNY Catalog
- Renewals and fines of lending library apply, see CUNY Libraries Circulation Policies
- Queens College, Brooklyn College, and City College cancel requests for music scores which may be borrowed and returned in person at these libraries
- BMCC cancels requests for CDs which may be borrowed and returned in person
- Grad Center allows CD, DVD, VHS via CLICS; other CUNY libraries do not
- Use “Request This Copy” to request or hold a targeted item in local CUNY library catalog
- Any “Request” placed in the online catalog for an item charged out generates a Recall Notice (via email or snail mail) to the current borrower. Borrowers are guaranteed the full length of the initial loan, but items in renewal will be recalled for due dates 10 days from the 2nd borrower’s request. Overdue recall fines increase to $1/day for all classes of borrowers.
How long will it take?
Most requests (for books not already checked out by another patron) are delivered in about a week. Some requests take 5 days or fewer; some take more than a week. NYC traffic, CUNY library systems problems, and library staffing all affect delivery time.
What if something I requested can’t be found?
You will receive email that your request can’t be filled. You may request it again from another CUNY library, or from Interlibrary Loan (ILL) if it is otherwise unavailable within the CUNY system. If you have waited more than a week for your request, contact either the CUNY lending library or your home CUNY library circulation desk.
Which materials may not be requested via CLICS?
Queens College, Brooklyn College, and City College will not loan music scores through CLICS. Borrow and return scores in person to these CUNY libraries. Loan of CDs, DVDs, and VHS through CLICS is governed by individual CUNY library policy. Libraries receiving CLICS requests for any non-circulating material will cancel a CLICS request prompting an email notification to the requestor. Graduate Center users may make Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests for any item unavailable for any reason via CLICS: books, scores, music, and film. Please note in your ILL request form if the item you want is CUNY-owned but unavailable via CLICS.
What if no CUNY copies are available?
You can request to be next in line for a CUNY book that is currently checked out to another user. Also, Graduate Center users may use Interlibrary Loan (ILL) to request books that are currently unavailable at CUNY. (Please note in your ILL request form if the item you want is CUNY-owned but unavailable via CLICS.)
What if I want to get the book before somebody else gets it?
To get a book right away, go get it yourself. If you take it to the circulation desk, you will be able to borrow even if there are hold requests on it. Others may then place holds on the book after you check it out, interrupting your ability to renew the book. If a book is requested for reserve, individuals may not borrow it until it is placed on reserve.
What if I want a particular copy from a certain CUNY library?
You can make “targeted” requests by going into a local CUNY library catalog, and using the “Request this Copy” button. You may also request specific copies with the help of library circulation desk staff. These show up in “My Account” as “Hold Requests.”
I didn’t get an email about my CLICS request!
If you don’t get an email within a few days, log in to “My Account” in the CUNY catalog. Under “Activities,” click the number next to “CLICs Requests.” You will see a list of requests ordered by number. Click the number next to the item you’re curious about in order to see that item’s status. Also, check your email address. If it is not currect, take your CUNY ID to the nearest CUNY library circulation address for an update. You may contact the lending CUNY library circulation department
to prompt a search for or cancellation of your CLICS request, allowing the request to cycle to the next CUNY institution in the queue (if there is another library with a circulating copy of the item).
How do I delete a CLICS request?
Delete a CLICS request in “My Account” by clicking on the number following “CLICs Requests.” If the Delete button appears you may delete the request. If the button does not appear, the request is already in process and cannot be deleted.
Why do I get the message “No copies currently available, or there is a problem with your ID card. Please see a librarian”?
- You have already requested this book via CLICS, OR
- No copy is available for loan via CLICS because the item is on loan, on reserve, in reference, or in a non-circulating category, OR
- Your library catalog account is expired. If your CUNY registration is current, there has been a glitch in the auto-updating of your library record from CUNY Central data. Take your valid photo ID to your home CUNY library circulation desk for an update.