Only CUNY Graduate Center affiliates (students, faculty, staff, and retired GC faculty with current GC network accounts) may reach the full-text books and articles licensed by the Graduate Center Library without being physically present inside the GC building, 365 Fifth Ave. Off-campus (remote) access to GC licensed resources is governed by the library proxy server. From off campus, the proxy detects a licensed GC resource request and opens a browser prompt for a GC network username/password.
Remote Access to GC Databases, Electronic Books and Journals
With an active GC network account, no specific configuration is necessary. Simply:
- Go to the library databases or GC e-Journal Finder page.
- Click on a database name OR e-Journal title.
- Click on a Google Scholar “Fulltext at GC” or “Find It” link.
- Enter GC network username/password as prompted. Click here, to setup your GC Network Account or renew your password.
- Failure? Continue reading.
Remote Access to CUNY-wide Library Resources
- CUNY Office of Library Services offers a set of CUNY-wide databases, with access to this set additionally governed by a CUNY-wide proxy server.
- Click on resource name, enter 14-digit CUNY library barcode number without spaces.
- All CUNY-wide databases PLUS GC-only databases are also available via the GC library proxy server.
Remote Access after Graduation
Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions and CUNY-wide rules governing student accounts, off-campus access to library databases is discontinued after graduation. However, you may continue to use library databases by visiting the Graduate Center Library in person. Also, please be aware that the New York Public Library (and many other public libraries) offers off-site access to numerous databases. NYPL also offers interlibrary loan services.
How the Proxy Works/Remote Access to Saved Citations
The proxy login page URL is: https://ezproxy.gc.cuny.edu
(use to set preferences in add-ons such as Zotero)
All licensed GC resources have a proxy URL embedded in their URLs.
For example, from our Databases page:
Ebsco Academic Search Complete has the URL with the proxy URL embedded int he preface of the Ebsco URL:
If Saving Permanent Links for Licensed Resources (JSTOR, EBSCO, Wiley, etc.) on Campus:
If saving permanent Links on campus for licensed resources you need to add a proxy prefix to the URL, allowing authentication, to guarantee remote access because if the embedded proxy information is not contained in saved links you will have problems opening these persistent links off-campus. With the following formula, remote users will be able to access any “saved citations” or “persistent links” :
Saved Citation URL from Ebsco User Permalink functionality):
Proxy Service Preface URL:
When working off-campus the student can access the saved citation content by combining these two URLs into:
JSTOR Stable URL (copy Stable URL):
Wiley Online Library PDF:
Proquest New York Times Full Text PDF:
Remember to use the GC Library Proxy Server:
- Graduate Center computer network account username/password are required.
- Network Accounts are only for Graduate Center students, faculty, and staff.
- Your network account is the same login as your Graduate Center email account.
- All network users must reset their account password every 180 days.
- To reset your password click here.
Other Library Resource Problems?
Library application issues may be addressed with the assistance of a librarian through remote desktop control.